My Doberman Missie sleeps every night on a 63-year old dog bed–a miraculous dog bed that has been in regular use since 2007 which means in dog years, it’s 63-years old.
Even though in reality it’s only nine years old, nine years is still pretty impressive for a dog bed.
This dog bed, the Donut Bed by Bowsers Pet Products, has outlived its first owner, my red Doberman Winnie. My current dogs love it, they have not destroyed it, it looks clean even when dirty, and it’s easy to wash. I can’t recommend it enough.
Before I even knew my horse husband existed, I bought the Donut Bed from a pet boutique in Pasadena in size medium. I paid $113.99 (yes I kept the tag); I’m sure I winced at the time. Little did I know that this magical bed would serve my dogs for so many years to come.
Other pet beds from Costco, Petsmart, and those crate liners have come and gone and been destroyed. Not our two Donut Beds from Bowsers.
Why the Bowsers Donut Bed is the Best Dog Bed
- Longevity/It hasn’t been destroyed! (Do we even need other reasons?). My Doberman Missie actually chewed the zipper on the large brown model a couple of years ago. It was the only part that was ruined so I took the bed to a tailor and asked if he could insert a new zipper. The zipper repair was costly–I can’t remember exactly, but definitely over $50. I didn’t bat an eyelash because I knew the bed would last with a new zipper.
- My dogs love to snuggle in it. I vividly remember the day I first bought the original donut bed and my red Doberman literally leaped into it. No sooner had I set the bed in its position next to my bed and she dove into it with gusto. They also love to use it as a home base for when they play fight. I’ve seen one of them plop down into it and snap at the other one and they will both dive and twirl and land in the bed together. The togetherness lasts for about 1 second.
- Attractive colors and patterns. The dog bed is still a dog bed, but it blends better with the overall decorating scheme of my home than many of the traditional dog beds you might see at a PetSmart or Petco.
- Easy to wash. Laundering the dog bed is simple: throw the “pillow” insert into your washer and unzip the bolster cover. Throw that in too. Wash on a gentle cycle. I sometimes dry it in the dryer, but I prefer to let it air dry (to save wear and tear).
- Looks clean (even if it isn’t). I try to wash the bed about every other week, but if I forget and it doesn’t get washed as frequently, the bed still looks nice. There’s no visible dog drool, hair, Kong stuffing residue.
So when you’re on the market for a new, perfect dog bed for the long run, look no further than the Bowsers Donut Bed! Thanks for reading!
Your Turn: What dog bed do your pups love? How long do your dog beds typically last? Are there other pet products you can recommend that are durable and long-lasting?