It rained all day but it didn’t matter to me, or the 31,000 other fans who watched from the sidelines as the top eventers in the world braved the elements and the obstacles on the four-mile long cross country course at the 2015 Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event. I had a chance to ride the course for a media preview hosted by Olympic gold medalist Leslie Law. It was in a word: awesome.
I don’t have a fancy camera and if I did, I probably wouldn’t know what to do with it. However, I was surprised at how semi-decent many of these shots turned out on my little Samsung phone. Enjoy!
1) This was my first shot of the day of Buck Davidson on The Apprentice. It’s Fence 2 which is 3’11” high and 5’11” wide. Dang!
2) Catch A Star ridden by Caitlin Silliman.
3) Jessica Phoenix on A Little Romance over Fence 3, the Open Oxer. The dimensions: 3’11” high, 5’11” top spread, 6’6″ base spread. Love the tight knees!
4) Fence 4a is the first of three elements called “Market Moguls.” It’s like a produce section. The horse Fischerrocana FST looks amazing (sorry to have cut off Michael Jung’s head). This pair is in third place going into the show jumping round.
5) Fence 5 was cool with the horse heads at both ends. The specs: 3’7″ high solid, 4’9″ brushed, 6’3″ top spread, 7’3″ base spread.
6) Mind the gap! This is Ditch Brush, number 11. It’s 4’9″ with the brush. The horses sailed right on over it like no biggie.
7) This is The Footbridge. I liked the flowers.
8 & 9. Mounds is the name of 16a and b. I didn’t capture the moment horse and rider flew through the keyhole, but a few strides later, up a small hill I did catch a shot reminiscent of old horse racing paintings where the jockeys are riding way back.
10) And my last shot was of Boyd Martin on Master Frisky. A privilege it was to experience the excitement first hand. If I go again next year, I’ll see about getting a proper camera, and maybe some photography lessons.
Question: Have you been following Rolex this year? What have been your impressions?
To keep up with all of my latest horsey happenings, subscribe!